Wednesday 13 February 2019

Waxie's Dargle! Part 1 February 1st 2019

I'll have a pint! More of that later...

Thursday night brought snow to Oxfordshire and at home we must have had all of almost 3 inches of the stuff. Not quite enough to make getting out to work impossible but enough to make the going tricky. Most of the country had obviously decided to stay in bed and not bother venturing out so the roads were empty and I managed to get to my job with no problems. On arriving though I had neglected to consider one very important fact. It was around minus 7 degrees centigrade overnight and not much warmer as the day broke and as a result all the onsite water pipes were frozen solid. Other than my own willingness, water is the most vital ingredient for doing my work and without it I just can't operate so after almost 10 seconds of deliberation when I pondered the Clash song, "Should I stay or should I go", I went. Home!

Snow makes things hard for us and it makes things just as difficult for our wildlife. When the ground is covered then finding food becomes much harder and many bird species that normally avoid small suburban gardens such as mine are attracted in by feeders and by necessity. In heavy snow we almost always get a few Redwing and Fieldfare in our garden enticed by apples thrown on the ground and by the berries on a bush that actually grows next door but overhangs our fence. They have to compete with the local Blackbirds for the temptations which is tough work for the Redwing but no problem for the bigger and more intimidating Fieldfare. 

As I drank a warming cup of coffee I noticed a Fieldfare perched on top of the berry bush, grabbed the camera and took a few shots through the closed window. Normally quite shy birds this bird was unmoved by me pointing the camera at it so I adventurously opened the window a little so that I could take some clear shots. Thankfully the bird just stared icily (see what I did there?) back at me, seemingly content with the bounty that it had discovered. The snow covered background made for some nice wintery shots and I thought that next years Christmas cards were sorted.




After a short impasse whereby the Fieldfare continued to just gaze around it began feeding, nimbly picking the berries off the bush and dispatching them greedily. The said bush, a Cornubia, is loaded with ripe red berries and the Fieldfare had his pick of many without having to move anywhere. The bird ate maybe a dozen or so then rested for a few minutes before gulping down some more. It did this  eat, rest, eat, rest procedure for another 15 minutes without moving at all except to stretch for the berries!




The Fieldfare reacted to a Red Kite flying low overhead by adopting a Bittern like "Sky Pointing" posture, something I'd not witnessed before. It wasn't too concerned though and soon settled down again. It's interesting that the Fieldfare perceived no real threat from the Red Kite, if it had been a Sparrowhawk then it would surely have dived for cover.



A few more berries later, including some actually harvested from another sprig and the Fieldfare,  plainly sated now, flew off into a tree on the opposite side of my street.



Almost immediately the Fieldfares place in the Cornubia was taken by a trio of Redwings which all began raiding the berry store, albeit much more nervously. One of them found exactly the same perch that the Fieldfare favoured a few minutes before and pecked away at the bunch of berries just like its bigger cousin had. The Redwing also managed that same icy stare!



I watched the Redwing for a few minutes longer, being more active than the Fieldfare they allowed for many different poses in a much shorter space of time including a few where they would reach for berries and stretch their wings for balance.




More potential Christmas card shots followed as one of the Redwing prolonged its stay on the bush and feasted on the small red berries. Without me realising I had been watching and photographing the Thrushes for over an hour!



Once the Fieldfare and Redwings had left I pondered on the chance that the most sought after berry swallowing visitor, the Waxwing, would find the Cornubia at some point during the winter. Long odds maybe but we have had Waxwings just a few streets away twice before so I live in hope! With that expectation Mrs Caley and I decided to head into town for essentials and a coffee.

(continued in part 2)














No comments:

Post a Comment